Asia Business Consulting

From Information to Strategic Knowledge by Asia Business Consulting (www.asiabusinessconsulting.com). What kind of jewels can you find in the news. And how great it is to have a company that fully uses those to support its primary research and consult your company strategically to really improve your business. This blog supports your business already. For more, talk to us - Asia Business Consulting. A better way to do business.

Sunday, March 07, 2004

In Singapore, mobile devices double up as travel guides

Is this the newest graze in Singapore? The Malaysian New Straits Times reported that tourists in Singapore wouldn't need any travel guides anymore, since the country unveiled Asia's first wireless information and entertainment guide. Tourists would have to register in a webstie, choose the type of information they like to receive and off they are on the roll in the city.

Is this the end of travel guides and tour operators? Surely not but if this is going to make an impact, they would need to personalise their services and provide a better experience to the customers. But there is a big "but" behind it. Firstly, how many tourists brng their handphone to Singapore? I doubt there are many, besides business travellers - but would they have the time? They might choose the "after-five" option in the menu. Added to this is the point that Singapore is frequently the starting point for many tourists. Now, when I bring my mobile device to Singapore for this service, but what do I do in Malaysia or Thailand? To solve this issue, travellers will receive a Pocket PC fully loaded with information, activated with phone service and GPRS. Good - but also a manual? It still sounds like a low-end service to me - cheap. And probably also for travellers who don't need more background about things happening around them and who are happy to know about the various monuments and statues. But what if I am curious about soemthing that just happens in front of me? A tour guide would be able to explain the event to me - a mobile device not! And, to sign up for the service? Not sure if I want this - as far as I know, there will be plenty of questions to be filled out to capture more data about my stay! I couldn't check it out, since the webpage was down, when I wanted to try it. Makes me think!

(By Asia Business Consulting)